Continuing the discussions you and your partner are having about your sexual histories, let’s turn this week to the topic of sexual identity.
Understanding Your Sexual Identity
Your sense of yourself as a sexual person develops over time. Some of you have always had a clear understanding of who you are and what your sexual interests are. Others may still be struggling to figure that out. You have a personal journey in getting clear about your sexual orientation, gender identity, and sense of your eroticism. Your path may have been direct and short, or it may have taken a more roundabout route. Learn more about the unfolding of your identity by discussing these prompts:
- What was it like for you as you became aware of yourself as a sexual person?
- What did you know about your sexual orientation and gender? How did you feel about it?
- How has your understanding of yourself changed over time?
- How did you come to understand these aspects of yourself?
- How did you feel about your body? How do you feel about it now?
- What issues arose around you figuring out how you identify in terms of gender and orientation?
- How were you supported, or not, as you learned about who you are?
- How has this exploration shaped your experience of sex and your expectations of what it can be?
- How might you feel limited or affected by your identity?